~ our history ~
PICKERINGTON METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH

 


Pickerington Methodist Episcopal Church
(This building was constructed in 1883)

It is believed that the first Methodists worshiped God in their own homes for a time, or perhaps until a log school house was erected a little northwest of the present day corner of Church and Cross Streets. Mr. Abram Ebright kept a very interesting record of these early meetings from the year 1832 to 1837 when the work was continued by his son M.A Ebright who carried it down to the year 1895.

The first church lot was purchased in 1833 from Abraham and Anna Pickering for the sum of two dollars. It was during that year the first Methodist church was built in Pickerington.
This building was made of brick and was very modest in its furnishings, but it served the congregation as their meeting place until 1867 when it was remodeled. This building served the people for half a century for their Sunday school and preaching services and became a sacred place to those worshipers of earlier days.

As time went on, the first building became too small so in 1883 it was torn down and this more modern church was built. This church building was painted and redecorated a great many times, including during the fall and winter of 1931 after the interior was greatly damaged by fire.

Eventually, this 1883 building was also razed and the corner stone for the present day building was set in September, 1951. Peace United Methodist Church out grew the existing building, and moved to a much larger facility at the corner of Diley and Long Roads in 1997.